- Skill level: Experienced beginner
- Dates: Thursdays, 22/Jan, 29/Jan, 12/Feb, 6:30pm-8:30pm (3 sessions, 6 hours total)
- Instructor: Michelle Porter
- Cost: $65 + HST + materials
This is a project class, perfect for the “newer” knitter ready to increase their skill at cables or create their first wearable garment. Michelle’s sleeveless, cabled cardigan is the best kind of design – a quick knit in a bulky yarn, relatively simple to execute, but with striking visual features and great wearability. You will finish the class with a completed cardigan, new skills in cabling, and the confidence to tackle a wider range of garment projects.
You will learn how to:
- get your stitches and cable panels set up for each piece.
- work the cable panel pattern.
- keep continuity of pattern.
- shape armholes and V-neck
- seam pieces and basic finishing
This class is intended for beginner knitters with experience in basic techniques. You should be able to:
- cast on
- knit/purl in stocking stitch
- check and correct tension gauge
- keep row count
- knit with average speed
- understand basic increase and decrease methods
Please bring the following with you to class:
- printed pattern (download PDF at Patternfish.com for $6 or purchase printed copy at Creative Yarns)
- sufficient amount of yarn for chosen size in Mirasol SULKA or a similar bulky yarn as suggested by Nina at Creative Yarns
- pair of needles 8mm/ US 11 (or size required to achieve correct tension)
- cable needle
- yarn needle
- 1 large button
Before the first class, please have completed a tension swatch and adjusted needle size if necessary. You must achieve a gauge of 12 sts and 16 rows to 10 cm/ 4 ins over stocking stitch. For help with knitting and measuring tension swatches, we recommend this Knitty article.
A moderate amount of homework will be assigned each class to prepare you for the next session’s instruction:
- after the first class you will be sent home to complete your BACK before next class in 1 week.
- after the second class you will be sent home to complete your two FRONTS before final class in 2 weeks.
- final class will be finishing your garment